Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Take a trip with Sarah Vowell

Go along on her Assassination Vacation.  But definitely don't if you're hyper-religious, ultraconservative, or in general easily offended by irreverence.  However, if you escape all of those categories, get ready for a lot of laughs, snorts, giggles and concordant head-nodding as you read about the assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley.  No, it's not the assassinations themselves that are funny; the humor is in Vowell's views on American culture then and now.  In addition to being amused, you'll learn some interesting things. 

I had a chance to hear her speak at one of Dallas' annual Arts & Letters Live events yesterday evening, and she certainly passed my authors test as someone with whom I would sit down to lunch.  I have to confess that I don't listen to NPR, so I was not familiar with This American Life to which she contributes.  I have now remedied that online, and I'm looking forward to reading her latest book, Unfamiliar Fishes, about the Americanization of Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment